Having a good set of speakers that you can play high-definition music out of with high-quality surround sound is a music, tv, or game lover’s dream.
Usually having such a surround sound speaker, especially one that sits on your floor, can cost you quite a bit of money.
Quality doesn’t have to be expensive though, there are a few amazing floor-standing surround sound speakers on the market that are less than $2000.
However, it is important to be mindful of quality when looking for floor-standing speakers on a budget; you don’t want to be getting a cheap speaker that is low in quality. If you do, then your music could be ruined and so could your ears.
That is why we’ve put together this handy guide on our top picks for floor-standing speakers under $2000. We’ll also include a handy buyer’s guide that can help you find the exact product that is perfect for you.
1. Klipsch RP-260F Floorstanding Speaker
The Klipsch RP-206F Floor-standing speaker is the cheapest speaker we have on this list at just $349.99 for each speaker, coming in at just under $750 for the pair.
Although this is the cheapest option on our list, Klipsch doesn’t falter when it comes to quality.
The first thing you will notice is how it looks. The cabinet is made from an MDF wood grain and brushed with a polymer veneer to give the speaker a modern, yet stylish look that can be incorporated into any decor.
The speaker also has a spun copper cerametallic woofer that is the focal point of the whole speaker, as well as looking fantastic, this woofer provides minimal cone breakup and distortion for great speaker efficiency.
As well as looking stylish, the low price tag doesn’t take away from the sound quality of the speaker either.
This Klipsch is designed with a 90×90 hybrid tractrix horn that uses a circular horn throat, paired with a square horn mouth, which improves the high-frequency response.
This improves the resolution and detail to create a clean and natural sound out of your speakers.
- Design – The cabinet looks very sleek and stylish with its brushed polymer veneer and the copper woofers stand out to make it suit any decor.
- Spun copper cerametallic woofers – As well as looking good, the spun copper cerametallic woofers also provide minimal cone breakup and distortion for fantastic efficiency.
- 90×90 tractrix horn – The 90×90 tractrix horn uses a circular horn, paired with a square horn, improving the high-frequency response and therefore improving the resolution and detail of the sound.
- Price – This Klipsch is the cheapest speaker that we have on this list and is a great price for a speaker of this quality.
- Durability and material – Although the speaker looks fantastic, the MDF it is made from is quite a cheap material, and therefore may not be as durable as a real wood finish.
Also available at:
2. KEF Q950 Floorstanding Speaker
The KEF Q950 is the one of the newest iteration of the KEF’s Q series and delivers a fantastic, high-quality sound for a low price.
The Q950 comes in at $1,099 per speaker, which if you want to get two speakers, they will come out a little over budget – but not by much.
The main standout feature of the KEF Q range is the technology it uses to give you the best possible sound it can through its speakers.
The KEF has a dampened tweeter loading tube that provides a gentle termination of sound coming from the back, meaning that lower treble performance is improved and a low-distortion indicator provides cleaner bass.
The Q950 also places the Uni-Q driver in the center of the cabinet to add to the Q series’ advanced cabinet design. This reduces unwanted internal resonance and adds refinement to the clarity and detail.
The Q950 also includes the Q series woofers. Their low-frequency drivers have a larger roll surround and their new spider suspension is included to produce a cleaner bass, even at higher volumes.
They also have a new cone structure that is there to improve the midrange clarity and get you the best quality sound you can get.
- Lower treble performance – The KEF has a dampened tweeter that provides a gentle termination from the sound coming out of the back, which improves the performance with lower treble.
- Q series cabinet design – The Q950 has an advanced cabinet design that sees the Uni-Q driver in the center of the cabinet, giving you a more detailed and clearer sound due to reducing internal resonance.
- Q series woofers – The Q series woofers have a larger roll surround, along with a new spider suspension so you can get a cleaner bass at higher volumes.
- Price – Although one speaker would be under $2000, if you wanted to get two speakers for a surround sound cinema room, for example, it would come to just over $2000.
Also available at:
3. KLH Kendall Floorstanding Speakers
The KLH is a great option if you want a pair of speakers for a low price.
You can get two of these high-quality speakers for just under $1,400, and if you just want the single, it comes in at the brilliant price of just under $700.
A perfect budget speaker that does not hold back with sound quality.
The KLH has an incredibly sleek design that comes in either black oak or walnut veneers, this speaker will complement any decor that you have in your home.
Its ultra-slim design and no visible fasteners make it look sleek and flawless.
The KLH also has an incredibly deep bass that allows you to hear and feel the deep and visceral intensity of a live concert.
As well as its deep bass, KLH also has kevlar drivers that, along with butyl rubber surrounds, are used to reduce any unwanted resonance and prevent any sound distortion.
Their cast aluminum baskets also provide amazing phase coherency and a clear sound. The KLH definitely ensures a high-quality sound from a relatively low-budget speaker.
- Design – The KLH has a stunning ‘real wood’ veneer finish in either black oak or American walnut, its design will complement any room it is put in and suit any decor.
- Bass – The KLH is known for its amazing bass, its deep and visceral bass mimics that of a live concert, allowing you to both hear and feel the music.
- Crisp, clear sound – This speaker has kevlar drivers and butyl rubber surrounds to make sure that there is no unwanted resonance or sound distortion, as well as cast aluminum baskets to ensure a crisp and clear sound.
- MDF Wood – The KLH is constructed with MDF cabinets instead of real wood. Although they use real wood veneers so you will not be let down visually, MDF is still a less durable material than real wood.
Also available at:
4. Definitive Technology BP-9080x Bipolar Tower Speaker
The BP-980x is a very expensive model and if you aren’t prepared to spend close to the maximum of the $2000 budget, then we don’t blame you – but we had to put it on here due to its amazing sound quality.
One speaker for the BP-9080x costs $1,699. This fills the parameters of a speaker under $2000, but if you want a pair, it will cost you just under $3500.
With that in mind, if you want a speaker that comes in a pair, we suggest you pick one of the earlier options. This speaker can fill a room with just one speaker, here’s why it is on this list.
The BP-9080x has a high-performance bipolar tower speaker that improves driver excursion. This means that the speaker can produce bass that a normal speaker of this size wouldn’t be able to, while retaining the improved dispersion and midrange definition of a smaller speaker, allowing you the best of both worlds.
We said that one of these speakers can fill a room and we meant it. Its patented forward-focusing bipolar array allows you to change the placement of the sound from a precise center image. Say you’re watching a movie on the couch, there is a room-filling mode which does the work of a surround sound speaker.
The BP-9080x’s integrated 12 inch powered subwoofer and duel bass radiators make sure of this room-filled sound, meaning that this speaker can produce impactful bass without the need for an extra subwoofer.
Although the BP-9080x is toward the very top of the price range, it is a fantastic speaker and we highly recommend it if you don’t mind spending a little too close to budget.
- Bi-polar tower speaker – The BP-9080x’s bipolar tower speaker means that this speaker can produce bass that a speaker of this size usually wouldn’t be able to, while still retaining the midrange definition and dispersion of a smaller speaker.
- Forward focusing bipolar array – The BP-9080x’s bipolar array means that you can switch the speaker from filling the room with surround sound music and being focused on one spot for movies or tv shows.
- Powerful subwoofer – This speaker has an integrated powered subwoofer that gives you the most impactful and deepest bass that you’ll need and because of this, there is no need for a separate subwoofer.
- Price – The BP-9080x is at the top of our price range and that is just for one speaker, it is definitely the most expensive speaker you can get while still staying under $2000.
Also available at:
Find a retailer in your area at definitivetechnology.com
If none of these speakers are right for you, then don’t worry, we’ve set up a brief buyer’s guide on buying a good speaker for less than $2000.
Use Of Speaker
It is important to think about how you are going to use this speaker. A lot of speakers are tailored to everything, but some favor certain uses and you may need to think of the number of speakers you’d like when you ponder this.
When buying a speaker for listening to music, you may not need two speakers to aim the music directly at a certain focal point. But, if you are buying them for a movie room, you may have to.
Bass is a very important thing in a floor speaker when listening to music, any headphone or small speaker will be able to replicate other frequencies such as treble.
You, therefore, need to think about the bass quality and how much bass you want.
Some speakers may come with subwoofers that improve bass, however, the cheaper ones will not. You can buy a subwoofer that will connect to your system to improve the bass.
Make sure that the speaker you are thinking of buying not only says that the sound is crisp and clear, but it backs it up with certain technologies.
Companies such as KEF and Definitive Technology pride themselves on the certain patented technologies they have in certain ranges that make their speakers stand out from the rest.
You don’t have to break the bank to find a good floor speaker with high-quality bass and sound.
There are plenty of good options for under $2000, but to assure that you aren’t wasting $2000, it is very important to do your own research on the speaker to find if it is the right one for you.